Monday 20 November 2023

October Firsts

 The leaves on the trees seem to stay green for longer and frosts are happening later each year.  Our garden is lush from all the rain, but it is time to start tidying up in readiness for winter.  Our pumpkins and squashes have been picked and we are enjoying butternut squash soup with homemade cheese scones.

On a walk around the village we spotted some fly agaric. The first time we have seen them growing there.

This year was our first time growing Polar Bear pumpkins.
I carved an owl for Halloween.
The seeds, I roasted and salted.  They didn't last long! :) The flesh I cooked and froze until required.
I like to put up a few decorations for Halloween.  These are a few items I have made in previous years.



Another first, our daughter has started to cross-stitch.  She tried it as a child and has decided that she would like some stitched pictures for her new home.  She asked me to dye some 40 count linen black and is stitching 1 over 2 in a mix of her own colours and called for DMC.

October is the start of Knitvent, a series of mystery designs by Helen Stewart of Curious Handmade.  I stash dived and found this 4ply Ethereal by Fyberspates that I had purchased a while ago.

I cast on the Trifle Wrap, but I am knitting it in stocking stitch rather then garter stitch as the pattern calls for.  I changed it to better show off the colours in my yarn.

No comments: