Saturday 1 October 2016

Thread 2016

Last weekend I attended Thread, a festival of textiles at Farnham Maltings.

I was very taken with the needlework displayed in hoops in the front entrance.
I headed downstairs to the main hall, stopping to admire the work of a local sixth form college on the way.

The market place was held in the main hall.  So many beautiful items were on display, I found it very hard to choose what to buy!

My favourite stall was the one full of vintage fashion and haberdashery items

and lots of lace.
Thread isn't as large or as busy as Unravel which is also held here, but there was certainly plenty to see and buy!
Upstairs was a very interesting exhibition of work by Jacky Puzey.

In the Barley Room were more stalls.  I bought some of the Indian printing blocks to try with a stitching project.
Moving through to the Tannery there were more stalls, including Nancy Nicholson's stall of beautiful embroidery kits.  I had signed up to attend her workshop that afternoon, so I was particularly interested in her stall.

There were only 5 attendees (including myself) at the workshop which made it feel like I was spending an afternoon stitching with friends.  Nancy was charming and taught us how to make her Muma Cat.  I continued stitching my cat over the weekend.

Now I want to make a whole family of cats!

The vintage French doily she is on is one of my purchases from Thread.

I also bought some linen remnants and vintage scraps of fabric.  The middle roll turned out to be a tablecloth that someone has started embroidering.  I might try to complete it.

My only planned purchase was the box of pins! :)

I found a new to me craft, Indian block printing!

And some more felt for that family of cats.

4 comments:

Sarah Dee said...

What a lovely exhibition, cannot wait for N.N.'s book to be published next month, you had an inspiring day.

Stasher said...

Loved reading about your day out....stitching, embroidery, art...and you captured it all beautifully.

thesnailgarden said...

It was an inspiring day Sandra. Hope you enjoy the book.

thesnailgarden said...

Thank you for your lovely comment. x