Monday 16 November 2020

Pre-lockdown 2.0 Outings

In England we are back in lockdown, this time for the month of November.  A couple of days beforehand, I visited Winchester to do some Christmas shopping.  Usually I will go to Winchester quite often, but this was my first visit since the Christmas market in 2019 because of the pandemic.
   King Alfred was crowned King of Wessex in 871 and made Winchester his capital.

The Cathedral
Westgate








Buttercross
The next day we went for a late afternoon wander around our favourite woodland.

We spotted one deer and these fly agaric toadstools

The following morning dawned very foggy, so I took my camera out for a walk around the village.





That evening we had fun in the garden with some sparklers as it was Guy Fawkes Night.

Normally we would attend an organised public display, but this year they are all cancelled.




3 comments:

Crafty in the Med said...

So many places that I haven't seen in my own country!! I have not been to Winchester but it looks to be just the place I would like to visit...so steeped in history.I do like to see and admire stained glass windows particularly! I was supposed to have returned home in September to see the family but that was cancelled of course. I am very much hoping to return home next year in spring...as I said hoping :-) Sparkles are great fun I used to use them (carefully) in the classroom when one of the pupils had a birthday....the kiddies loved them!! keep well Amanda x

thesnailgarden said...

Hi Amanda, Winchester is very much worth visit if you love history. Hope you manage to see your family soon. xx

Crafty in the Med said...

Wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas :-) Amanda x