Monday 14 March 2016

The Maldives

This is going to be a  really hard post to write because I want to add all the photos! :)  My husband and I have just returned from the most amazing week in the Maldives, where we did lots of snorkelling, so I think it will be better to write two posts - this one in the air and on land and a second one for in the sea.
We left Heathrow on a A380 and switched to a B777 at Dubai.  At Malè we boarded an inter islander plane and flew low over the Maldives to Kooddoo Airport and from there we boarded the hotel's speed boat to take us the rest of the way.
Our destination was The Residence at Falhumaafushi on the Gaafu Alifu Atoll, just 0.6' north of the Equator.
We stayed in a water villa with our own private deck and infinity pool.



The whole island was the hotel resort and it was beautifully manicured.  Each guest had a bicycle to get around the island on and my husband has a very funny video of me nearly falling off when I tried to cross over a hose pipe! :)
As you can see we really got away from it all; the island wasn't busy and sometimes it felt as though we were the only people there.




We meet some of the locals! :)



The sunrises and sunsets were spectacular and our view of the Milky Way was awesome.




We took sunrise and sunset yoga classes over the ocean and the sunset classes finished with meditating under the stars!




We also had a massage at the spa.  My husband's first ever massage and now he wants more! :)
 The food was amazing!  There were three restaurants to choose from, but we stayed with the main restaurant as it was a buffet and I find that much easier to choose from, being a vegetarian.  The displays were beautiful.




And the food was delicious, especially the desserts!
Eating our breakfast on the beach was a lovely way to start each day.


We both left the island feeling very relaxed and thoroughly spoilt.

5 comments:

Apple said...

Wow, what an amazing place :)

Gem said...

Oh wow, it looks like heaven. I can't believe how empty the place looks, how lovely. I must admit, I was keeping track on your Instagram feed, your photos are just incredible. So pleased you both had a wonderful time x x

Jane said...

What an amazing experience, I caught some of your photos on Insta too. Glad you had such a great time - it all looks heavenly. Have a great week, I hope it's not too hard adjusting to Blighty! Jane x

thesnailgarden said...

Thank you Gemma for your lovely comment, there were other guests, but we were never on top of each other - often it was like having the island to ourselves. xx

thesnailgarden said...

It was heavenly Jane. I was sad to leave, but luckily I had the retreat to look forward to & it is so sunny here in Cumbria. xx