Sunday 20 September 2020

August 2020


August started with my husband being made redundant from his place of work for 30 years, which was a good thing as he wanted a change of pace and in the same week it was the funeral of my mother-in-law.  Covid-19 restrictions meant that close family & friends could attend, all wearing masks, but the wake had to be held in the family home.  My task was to provide the cakes and as my father-in-law had liked a previous carrot cake I had baked, I decided to make another one.  I also baked brownies and melting moments.

During the long hot days of August our garden became a haven.












I continued to naturally-dye linen.  Maurice approved! :)

When it wasn't too hot we went for walks in the countryside.  The hedgerows were full of berries and nuts already, which of course means blackberry picking and jam making.











We live quite near a Roman walled town, Calleva.  Only the crumbling walls remain visible, but it makes for a lovely walk, particularly on a quiet summer's evening.







During August I completed the stitch sampler that was a birthday gift from my lovely friend Deb.
I embroidered three lavender sachets, each filled with my homegrown lavender.
The original design was a kit by The Stitchery.  I think I might have made some of my flowers bigger as I ran out of the white used in the kit!
I then stitched another rose-filled basket, this time with lilac blooms, on a vintage fabric as part of a gift for my Mum's birthday.
I have always loved doing French knots and now bullion roses are a favourite too.  I wanted to have an embroidery in the same colours as the my Mum's, so I designed this little basket and made the roses stand out more by using 3 strands of thread instead of 2.
I also gifted my Mum a shawl I had previous made, to go with some lovely jewellery for a special birthday.
The shawl is the Surprise Party by Helen Stewart 
and I used the same yarn from Skein Queen that I used for my Summertide Shawl, also designed by Helen.
I was a busy bee last month! :) I also stitched the Joyful World designs into lavender sachets, backing each with a piece of cotton that I had naturally-dyed last summer
and I completed the Autumn Flowers kit from Caroline Zoob.


My final makes were masks for the family as we now have to wear them in shops and enclosed public spaces.
My husband requested the snail fabric!
Matching ones for my parents.

No comments: