Wednesday 13 April 2016

City of Dreaming Spires

Last Friday M needed to go to Oxford, so S and I drove her there and made a day of it.  I took my neglected hexipuff project to work on in the car.  I am supposed to be knitting one a day, but took a break in March!  I hope to get back on track with this project this month.
It was a little grey when we arrived in Oxford,


but luckily the skies cleared whilst we had our lunch.
Oxford is well known for its bicycles,
but the cyclists looked a little different to my expectations! :)
Everywhere you look in Oxford the buildings are covered with beautiful carvings.

We wandered around the shops and covered market.
Then we went inside the University Church of St Mary the Virgin, one of the oldest buildings in Oxford.
The Chancellor's throne,
which sits at the end of the nave facing the organ screen and chancel.


The 1827 pulpit.
The chancel
Looking back down the nave to the west window.

The font.
We climbed up to view the west window in more detail.




From here we had a good view of the nave

and of the Radcliffe Camera through the window.
Back outside we continued our wander along the High Street,


taking in the views around corners
and through doorways into the colleges.
The Queen's College

Turning back up the High Street
we turned off and walked past the Radcliffe Camera.
St Mary the Virgin viewed from Radcliffe Square.
We headed away from the city centre past more beautiful buildings.
The Bridge of Sighs


Wadham College

The Natural History Museum of Oxford


We walked along beside the park

to a particular destination I had in mind.
The local yarn shop!


I chose some new to me yarns:-
some alpaca yarn, Sierra Adina by Adriafil
and a couple of sock yarns, as I am building myself up to knitting my first pair of socks!
This was the first time I had seen some Arne & Carlos yarn in a shop.
I'm thinking of using this Schoppel Wolle Admiral for the heels, toes and cuffs.
Our day in Oxford was almost at an end, so we headed back to the city centre, past the Sheldonian Theatre
This patisserie caught my eye, so we stopped for some tea

and cake!

Then it was time to go home, but I'm sure we will be back, especially as I have discovered that lovely yarn shop! :)

No comments: