Thursday 22 May 2014

Allotment Planting

Yesterday morning I loaded up my Mini with plants from the greenhouse and set off for the allotment.  The boot was packed and there were sunflower plants in passenger footwell.  Poor Mini was looking more like a greenhouse than a car!
First I inspected the plants that I had put in the beds at the beginning of May.  I started to earth up the potatoes that had come through.
The first lot of dwarf pea plants were looking a little sick, but I still managed to harvest a handful of peas - the first of the season.
 A few didn't make it off the allotment! ;)
 The radishes that I seeded last time are through
as are the beetroot and second lot of dwarf peas.
I planted out my dwarf green beans
and a selection of pumpkins, courgettes and squashes.
1 x Hundredweight
2 x Butter Bush
2 x Lebanese Courgette
2 x Black Beauty Courgette
2 x Yellow Zucchini
  I also have a small strip of ground on the other side of the path, behind Mini by the fence, which I have previously planted up with flowers.  To this I added my sunflowers, cornflowers, ammi majus, cosmos, zinnias, mixed climbers and some mini pumpkin plants - Jack Be Little.
 By the time I had finished all the planting I was a little sunburnt!  I left the seed sowing for another day and headed home.
 

Back at home it was time for a mid-afternoon coffee break, with Ella on the bench beside me
 and Maurice stretched out by my feet.  He loves laying on the sleepers as they warm up in the sun.






It was so peaceful in the garden listening to the bees buzzing in the flowers and the birds singing in the trees.  I tried to record the birdsong as it was so beautiful,

but I also seem to have recorded an aeroplane flying over!
As you can see from the videos, my garden has gone into jungle mode!  The forget-me-nots have now gone past their best and need to be pulled up.  This is a good thing as it will give me some room to put my plants from the greenhouse, which will in turn give me room in the greenhouse for my tomato plants.  You can see what I will be doing over the next few days! Thank goodness it is a bank holiday weekend coming up!:)

5 comments:

Down by the sea said...

Your garden is looking so lovely too. I am hoping to pull our forget me nots out this weekend too. I enjoyed the videos and seeing your allotment too. It will soon be producing such wonderful crops. Sarah x

littleRamstudio said...

Trying to work out in your mini reflection how the blue piping has been attached to the raised beds.
We are just trailing an idea gleaned from Pinterest. Short pieces of hosepipe cut down it's length which grips over fleece and blue piping or can be attached to the sides of the raised bed. Waiting for a windy day to see how it fairs :)

thesnailgarden said...

LittleRamstudio - We used pipe clips to attach the blue hose. Photo on this post shows the clips - now rusty, but still working.
http://thesnailgarden.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/weekend-gardening.html The microfleece is held on over the pipe by strips of wood around the top of the bed and the net has elastic around the bottom. It is a little cumbersome, but it works. I will take some photos next time I am up there. Best wishes, Pj

Chris said...

Hi there, what a lovely garden. I'm just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris

thesnailgarden said...

Hi Chris and welcome to my blog. I will pop over to see you soon. Best wishes, Pj x