Thursday 1 December 2011

Advent Calendar Day 1

Whilst surfing the net this afternoon, as you do :), I found DROPS Christmas Calendar 2011 here. As you will know from reading my last post, I have plenty of time on my hands!! :) , but I couldn't resist trying out the first design and now I am hooked.
Day 1 is a crocheted mitten and the pattern page can be found here.
As the pattern is in US terms I have translated the pattern here:-
I used a 4mm hook and Patons DK Smoothie in Red and Patons Pearl DK in White.
Ch = Chain Ss = Slip Stitch Dc = Double Crochet Tr = Treble
Round 1.
Make a magic ring and ch1 into it, ch2 (these 3 chains form the 1st tr). 9tr into ring. Ss into top of 3rd chain. (10 trebles)
Round 2.
Ch3 (these 3 chains form the 1st tr). 2tr in next tr. *1tr in next tr. 2tr in next tr.* Repeat * to * to end of round. Ss into top of 3rd chain. (15 trebles)
Round 3.
Ch3 (forms 1st tr). 1 tr in next tr. 2tr in next tr. *1tr in each of next 2tr, 2tr in next tr.* Repeat * to * to end of round. Ss into top of 3rd chain. (20 trebles)
Rounds 4 - 6
Ch3 (forms 1st tr). *1tr in next tr.* Repeat * to * to end of round. Ss into top of 3rd chain. (20 trebles)
Round 7.
Ch1 (forms first dc). *dc in each tr.* Ss into top of 1st chain. (20 double crochets)Fasten off yarn.
Round 8.
Switch to white yarn make 1ch into previous dc. 1dc into same dc. *ch4. dc into 4th ch from hook. Skip a dc and dc into next dc.* Repeat * to * to end of round. Ss into ch1. Fasten off.
Thumb - Round 1.
Using red make a magic ring and ch1 into it, ch2 (these 3 chains form the 1st tr). 9tr into ring. Ss into top of 3rd chain. (10 trebles)
Thumb - Round 2.
Ch3 (forms 1st tr). *1 tr in next tr.* * Repeat * to * to end of round. Ss into ch3. (10 trebles) Fasten off, stuff lightly with scraps of thread, flatten and sew onto side of mitten. Fasten off all threads and embroider a number 1 on main part of mitten.
The eagle-eyed amongst you will notice that I missed a row in the first mitten! Not intentional, here is one the correct size. The smaller one will make a sweet gift decoration. I am experimenting with the numbers - this one is cut from felt using my Big Shot Machine.
I'm looking forward to seeing the next design tomorrow.

No comments: