Tuesday 13 May 2008

The Snail Garden

You may have wondered why my blog is called "The Snail Garden"... it is because of my love/hate relationship with snails. I love beauties like this Banded Snail, but hate the common brown garden snail and the way that they munch through my garden! Unfortunately we have a phenomenal amount of the brown snails. Luckily we also get a lot of frogs in the garden.
White-lipped Banded Snail


Chalkhill Blue Butterfly

Josephine
First flowers on the lilac that I planted last year.
Niobe

Green Carpet Moth
Luckily they don't eat carpets or in this moth's case - curtains! Their main food is bedstraw.
Another WIP finished. This felted lavender heart was made from the wool I received in a forum swap. I knitted the wool up and felted it quickly, but then it took a while for me to pluck up the courage to cut the heart shape ... I was worried that it would unravel!


3 comments:

kathyann said...

what lovely pictures,but I must admit I can't stand snails or slugs,its a good thing you get plenty of frogs in your garden,we hope to build a pond for them at our next house!
Love from Kathyann and the girls

kathyann said...

Sorry I forgot to say I love your felted heart its so pretty,felting is something I haven't had a go at,is it easy to do?
Kathyann

thesnailgarden said...

Technically I "full" rather than "felt", which is really easy and the end result is the same. I just put the knitted item into the washing machine, add some pure soap flakes and one of Jay's old trainers! Wash at 40'C, after 10 mins of agitation, check item (don't panic if it is bigger - the wool relaxes first), keep checking every 5 - 10 mins until item has felted and shrunk to required size. Drain, rinse once without agitation and lightly spin. Block item to shape and leave to dry. I have made handbags using this method and they are really strong. Have fun, Pj